, El Defector, made his Chicago White Sox debut tonight at Kauffman Stadium tonight versus the Royals. Here is my minute-by-minute account of his debut.
- Jose Contreras seen warming in the Bullpen. He appears to be getting tips from pitching coach Don Cooper. Cooper showing him a follow through with a split finger grip.
- Mike Wood
taking warm-up tosses from the mound.
- 1st pitch of game - Ball
- Timo Perez
crushes a ball foul. He would later ground out to second in the AB.
- 10 Royals have made their major league debut this season. And they wonder why they have the second worst record in baseball.
- Jose Contreras' first pitch - Strike.
grounds to second for Contreras' first out as a White Sox.
- 1-2-3 inning (1 ground out, 2 flyouts) for El Defector. He has been shaking catcher Ben Davis
off a lot in the early going.
- 6 up, 6 down for Contreras. He looks a little wild.
- WTF is Ben Davis doing hitting in the #7 spot. Joe Borchard in the #6 spot. This line-up looks terrible. Joe Crede
hits a solo shot to mark the 1st hit of the game -- Sox 1-0
- Sox end Top of the third up 2-0. Let's see what Contreras can really do. This is the point in the game where Loaiza
liked to give up runs.
singles up the middle, nearly taking Jose's head off in the process.
- JC notches his first K in a White Sox uniform versus Gotay, who coincidently was making his first ever MLB AB.
- K's the leadoff man to retire the side. The strikeout pitches to the last two batters was downright nasty. (forkball?) -- Edit
: - I don't think that was the forker, the "fork" and the split are supposedly the same pitch. I guess those were just hard breaking curveballs.
- 55 pitches through 4 innings. 3K's 1H -- Looks impressive. Forkball looks like a good "out" pitch. He uses it late and hitters have no shot against him. The Royals would be wise to jump on him early in the count.
- Ben Davis leads off the 5th with a double.
- Willie Harris
just misses his first HR of the season, settling for a triple, driving in Ben Davis.
- DJ Jinxes Aaron Rowand
. He says picking up Willie Harris from third with less than 2 outs is an "easy RBI". Says if Aaron doesn't drive him home he will eat a piece of paper. Aaron strikes out swinging. DJ can be heard crumpling paper and talking with his mouth full.
- Carlos Lee
crushes a hanger from Wood........Foul
hits a grand slam. Pauly makes them pay for the walks. It was the first grand slam by the Sox this season. Sox 7-0
- Jose Valentin
K's. What else is new?
- Ken Harvey
HR's. Aaron Rowand looked like he was going to get to that ball. It just kept carrying. -- Sox 7-1
- Another hit. Settle down JC.
- Long Flyout. Settle down.
- Error by Joe Crede. Runners on 2nd & 3rd. Look for the implosion.
- Everyone swinging early in the count. JC needs to throw his "out" pitch earlier.
- Gotay singles. -- Sox 7-2
-- Aaron Rowand with a nice throw to prevent another run from scoring. This is starting to look a lot like Loiaza.
- 1st pitch - breaking ball - Strike swinging/ 2nd pitch - breaking ball/ 3rd pitch breaking ball
- single -- Sox 7-3
- Ozzie makes a mound visit. I can only read lips in English, so I can't even begin to guess what was said.
- Sacrifice Fly by Randa
-- Sox 7-4
-- 2 unearned runs this inning
- Caught stealing (2-6) gets Contreras out of the inning. I would have liked to see him have to pitch himself out of the jam, but will take that. We need the win.
- I had heard that JC had problems when he had runners on, this inning provided the proof.
- Aaron Rowand steps to the plate to face a lefty. I laugh to myself. 3-run HR. A-Row crushes lefties. I don't know what Pena was thinking there. -- Sox 10-4
- Extended bathroom/snack break, missed a batter.
- Walks Stairs
. He had made Stairs look silly earlier in the AB. There's no reason to be walking him here. This is exactly shades of Loaiza, letting them back in.
- 95 pitches through 6 for Contreras. The End? -- He was able to settle down and get out of the inning. I guess I compared him to Loaiza too quickly.
- Cliff Politte
enters the ball game, and JC's night is officially over. Politte's been having trouble lately, and I don't have a good feeling about this outing either.
- Contreras' line for the evening: 6IP 5H 4R 2ER 3K 1BB - in line for the victory.
- Politte escapes the inning unscathed.
. He hit the backstop on the fly with one pitch, has walked three, including walking in one run.
- Game over. -- Sox 12-4 -- And That's a White Sox Winner