Not quite. I've lost a couple of Sweet 16 teams -- Pitt and Kansas -- but called a few upsets -- UW-M, UAB, Vermont(I convinced myself to take 'em) -- I'm participating in the Blogger's Bracket
over at YocoHoops.com
. After round one, I'm sitting very respectably in a tie for 20th place out of almost 350 entries.
There's a few familiar faces playing over there. I'm tied with one Twins Blogger
), and well ahead of another
). -- Hey at least we can beat the Twins in something. Actually, I'm getting ahead of myself. The Sox were leading or tied for most of the first half last season. -- Also Soxtalk's very own, Heads
, is in the middle of the pack.Some things I think I think
- If you haven't read The Sports Guys recap of the first two days of the NCAA tournament, you're missing out. -- Thursday (Part 1) (Part 2) -- Friday (Part 1) (Part 2)
- Wisconsin-Milwaukee, UAB, and Pacific all could easily pull off upsets tomorrow.
- My friend and I bet each game vs. the spread in the first round. Just $5 a game. He bet Thursday, I bet Friday. (No bookies or anything. I paid him if he won, he paid if I won.) I was 7-1 at the break today. Finished 12-4, for a healthy profit. Jim pushed yesterday.
- Parity -- Where did this come from? I'm used to seeing the 1 & 2 seeds romp over the 15 & 16s -- Carolina was the only one to really take care of business.
- Duke: 57, Carolina's first half: 59
- I complained about Iowa having just 7 assists in 40 minutes. Well they were bested (or should it be worsted) a couple of times on Friday, including a mind-boggling low 3 assists by St. Mary's.
- Jared Homan was a beast today. The Cyclones will need the same type of performance, if not better, to challenge Carolina on Sunday.
- The Sox beat the Cubs again. Woo-hoo, 2-0 when they don't count!! -- Garland and El Duque were forgettable against a team comprised mostly of AAAA players. Rowand and Everett continue to rake the ball. (Look for Jurassic to get off to a quick start.) Borchard hit his 4th HR of the spring -- Maybe there's some trade value left in that well after all.
- This is an absolutely brilliant recap of the hearings yesterday at Congress.
- Cadbury creme eggs are out of this world. (Does anyone know how to get the gooey center filling out from in between the keys of a keyboard?)