Digger Phelps just got his. Notre Dame just lost in the NIT at home to basketball powerhouse Holy Cross. I'm sure he'll be on later tonight blaming the loss on the let down from not getting into the real tourney. Onto the Albuquerque Region. (Holy heck is that hard to spell.)West
- (1)Washington vs. (16) Montana -- Thursday, 2:10 PM - Boise, ID
This was actually supposed to be a regular season match up, but Montana backed out at the eleventh hour. This gives Washington the chance to take 'em out on a much larger stage
- (8) Pacific vs. (9) Pittsburgh -- Thursday, 11:40 AM - Boise, ID
Pittsburgh is one of my favorite teams to watch play. I like defense. They are just tough. I really hate this pairing because I had Pacific as one of my sleeper Sweet Sixteen picks. Either team in this game has the ability to knock off Washington, but I'm gonna go with the metal toughness of Pitt in this one
- (5) Georgia Tech vs. (12) George Washington -- Friday, 8:40 PM - Nashville, TN
The Wramblin'' Wreck was a top ten team to start the year after making the Finals last season. They struggled without their floor leader BJ Elder, but he's back, and so is GT.
Prediction: Georgia Tech
- (4) Louisville vs. (13) Louisiana Lafayette -- Friday, 6:10 PM - Nashville, TN
Louisville runs and shoots the three pointer. The one thing that gets overlooked it their D. They don't play much of it, but they do have a number of "long" guys. Players who have large wingspans, breaking up your shots and passes.
- (6) Texas Tech vs. (11) UCLA -- Thursday, 8:55 PM - Tucson, AZ
Tech's low point of the season was a 30 point loss to Iowa in Chicago. They've played much better since then, but still occasionally have a lapse. UCLA is about a year away from making an NCAA run.
Prediction: Texas Tech
- (3) Gonzaga vs. (14) Winthrop -- Thursday, 6:25 PM - Tucson, AZ
Gonzaga has a lot of talented players; Turiaf, Morrison, Ravio, et al. Morrison gives anyone they face headaches.
- (7) West Virginia vs. (10) Creighton -- Thursday 8:40 PM - Cleveland, OH
West Virginia may be one of the hottest teams in the country. Creighton is from the MVC, all they do it win in the tourney. They boast the second best three point attack in the tourney.
- (2) Wake Forest vs. (15) Chattanooga -- Thursday, 6:10 PM - Cleveland, OH
Wake is one hella good team. If Chris Paul isn't healthy though they could be challenged. They would still win, but it would be close.
Prediction: Wake Forest
- (1) Washington vs. (9) Pittsburgh -- Saturday, 2:20 PM - Boise, ID
Washington wants to run and play a finesse game. Pittsburgh wants to slow it down and make it a football game. This is the one team that Washington didn't want to see this early in the bracket.
- (5) Georgia Tech vs. (4) Louisville -- Sunday, 1:15 PM - Nashville, TN
These two seem to be everyone's favorite dark horses to take the whole thing. I really like the Louisville squad. They've done it all year.
- (6) Texas Tech vs. (3) Gonzaga -- Saturday, 12:10 PM - Tucson, AZ
Bobby Knight hasn't made the Sweet Sixteen since 1994. He gets the most out of his team in the regular season, but they seem to falter come March. The Zags have never been afraid of a uniform or a coach on the opposing sideline.
- (2) Wake Forest vs. (10) Creighton -- Saturday, 7:00 Pm - Cleveland, OH
Wake is just too much for the Jays
Prediction: Wake Forest
- (9) Pittsburgh vs. (4) Louisville -- Albuquerque, NM
Pittsburgh is exactly the type of team that could give Louisville trouble, but I feel like they've just got too much firepower.
- (3) Gonzaga vs. (2) Wake Forest -- Albuquerque, NM
Both of these team have losses at Illinois. Wake was blown out when they were ranked #1 in the country. Gonzaga gave Illinois more of a fight, even though it wasn't much.
- (4) Louisville vs. (3) Gonzaga -- Albuquerque, NM
Another high scoring affair. Pittsburgh is the lone team in this bracket that really plays defense. They have a chance to make a run all the way to the Final Four. But in this game, I feel that Gonzaga's got more weapons than Louisville.